Monday 2 December 2013

NaBloPoMo Day 30: I'm dreaming of a white christmas

I'm sitting in the airport departure lounge just having heard the announcement of my flight being delayed another 30 minutes. I was all set to write my final post about my anxieties and flying and my trip but then I logged on to find Greta's post about Christmas which finally prompted me to write my own post I'd been thinking about for a while.

I love Christmas time more than any other time. The festivity, merriment and cheer which fills the whole city. Though I don't have hugely firm traditions with my family we are always together and make a big day of it, and this year is going to be very different in a lot of ways. Apart from the fact I am going to be away from the extended family, this is going to be my first white Christmas and my first Christmas not eating meat.

Silver Bells is one of my favourite Christmas songs because one of the things I really love about Christmas is the way it fills the city. Even if Melbourne Christmas is rather different to how it's described in the song, it reminds me of how I love seeing the streets decorated and visiting the myer windows and hearing carols in all the shops. That's what I'm going to miss most this year. I've had one Christmas without my family before, and although I missed my family, as I will this year I have a feeling this one is going to be much better than that Christmas, because this time other than the city I'm able to bring all the things I love about Christmas with me. Christmas baking, Christmas movies, hanging up stockings, candy canes, Christmas carols (but I am shattered to be missing Carols by Candlelight) and Christmas decorations.

It's going to be a very different year in the dark depths of Norwegian winter with only our little family of mum, dad, Greta and I. But I think it's going to be one of the most festive years yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment