Wednesday 2 October 2013

Dear Greta


You shine through your words. All year you have painted beautiful pictures of your life through your relationships with these letters. You are so expressive that I can hear your voice as I read, and this one was like you were sitting right next to me saying the exact right thing at the exact right time, in a way that you have always seemed to be able to do. Your letter was exactly what I needed, and I hope my reply can do it justice, though I don't have your talent for putting emotions into words and mine seem to be coming out as tears instead.

You're right we are both Matilda. And we are both going to conquer the world. You already are. Your words already affect people all over the world, but with them you have to power to lighten up lives, change people's minds and make a difference. The reason that I know you'll conquer the world is because I know you feel the same way I do about learning, knowledge and our universe. Because I know if you saw a goat standing on a cow you would turn your car around to investigate. Because I know you relate to Beyoncé's 'I Was Here' like I do. But mostly the reason I know you will be conquering the world is because there is no way I will be without you at my side.


It feels like we've been side by side forever. It wasn't hard, it wasn't pressure on me, it was just who I was. I've never felt forced to be optimistic or to have to be a certain way to balance us out, we just do and thats what is so perfect. Maybe it comes from our lives having been intertwined for so long. Whatever the reason god knows I needed it too. You are always more pragmatic and have more perspective. Maybe you've felt like you were stealing my glow, but I needed your strength just as much, I wouldn't be me without you. I've found it so hard this year trying to figure out how I glow without you.

I do thrive off people, I love being around people, I love the spotlight, and I think it took me a long time to realise that you really didnt. But we compromised pretty well. Together we did share the center of attention quite often, constantly dancing for our parents, half an hour long presentations about world war two, and many school forums. There were just as many times when we did things your way though. Any development in our lives doesn't feel complete without the two of us discussing it over a cup of tea at your kitchen table, or a packet of tim tams on my couch. Silently walking around the neighbourhood, or sitting in Singapore in the afternoons with our books (9 between us for two weeks if i remember correctly) or leaving the group and going out for lunch just the two of us after our graduation champagne breakfast. Just like you sometimes secretly love the spotlight, I know I wouldn't survive without the quiet times

You are one of the strongest people I know, you're so caring, empathetic, beautiful and intelligent, stubborn and competitive. I know you'll make your difference in the world because you won't let me get by without any competition. Sometimes when I listen to I Was Here, I think about how instead of changing the whole world maybe it would just be enough to make a difference to one person's world, well you've totally been that for me. I hope through writing letters about the special people in your ife you realise how special you are. Anyway, sorry I couldn't be more eloquent and that as a result it was a bit cheesy, and as you said in your letter theres no way everything could be put into one letter, but i love you a lot and that's the main point of all of this. I can't wait to give you such a big hug in nine and a half weeks, I think about it every day.

Hugs and Kisses
Brittany
xox

(read Greta's letter here)

No comments:

Post a Comment