Wednesday 18 June 2014

Maple Syrup, Peanuts, and Bacon. Sugar Free, Gluten Free and Vegan.


As I've said many times, I love to bake cupcakes for my friends birthdays. It was recently wonderful Tess's birthday and as she is Vegan and mostly gluten and refined sugar free this was my most challenging task yet. Although it didn't pass my mum's judgement of just as good as regular cake I'm pretty excited with the results. I used direct substitutes for all regular ingredients rather than trying anything tricky, and as such you could put normal ingredients back in to this recipe if you desired.

Ingredients
- 8 tbl spoons Nuttalex Margarine
- 2 3/4 cups All Purpose Gluten Free baking flour
- 2 cups pure maple syrup
- Orgran No Egg- mixed with water to create the equivilant of 3 eggs
- 1 tbl spoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups peanuts (roughly chopped)
- Kinda Bacon

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180 C  (or 350 F) and place cupcake papers into tray

2. Beat Nutallex until creamy, add maple syrup and beat again, then egg replacer. Beat until light and fluffy

3. In another bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and ginger. Add a third of this mixture to the margarine and beat until just combined. Add half the milk and beat to combine. Repeat this until all flour and milk is added. Be careful not to over beat as this will toughen the mixture.

4. Gently stir through the peanuts.

5. Divide mixture between patty pans, filling them 3/4 full. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

The icing was the biggest struggle for me. I spent hours messing around with whipping coconut cream, blending peanuts and getting nowhere. Eventually I stopped and made myself go back to basics, the result was delicious! Simply whip together nuttallex with maple syrup, adding maple syrup to taste, until the mixture is fluffy like frosting. I then topped the cakes just before they were about to be eaten with Kinda Bacon (the kinder bacon made of coconuts)

No comments:

Post a Comment